Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Strawberry bruschetta



Guess what I made today? Strawberry bruschetta!

For Christmas last year, the bf got me a ton of kitchen goodies from William-Sonoma (and a lovely dress, which I have yet to wear). The former gives me a lot of pleasure. To give you an idea: I’ve been buying canned goods just so I could open them with the world’s niftiest can-opener and squeezing lemons with my handy lemon-squeezer despite not being able to eat any. So far the one (best) tool I have yet to christen is: the blowtorch.

Ladies and gentlemen, today I’m going to show you how to make strawberry bruschetta. What is it you ask? A simple variation from the classic Italian bruschetta that’s usually made with tomatoes and parsley, the strawberry version is my idea of the perfect dish for breakfast, dessert, tea time, and any other time - really. I adapted the recipe from Giada Dilaurentiis on Everyday Italian. To be honest, you can pretty much skip the blowtorch and turn your oven to “broil.” I however, just love the idea of using a supercharged lighter that caramelizes pretty dishes.


Ingredients from top: Fresh strawberries, sugar, butter and crusty bread


First you slice the bread to about ½” thick


Then you place them on a cookie sheet and bake in a preheated 400 degrees F oven for about 5-10 mins


Remove toasts from the oven and spread generously with butter


Layer on the strawberries


And eat some if you must


Sugar on top


Quick. Before the sugar melts


And fire


Voila! The end product


Last look before I stuff my mouth


The bf judged & approved


Great success! -Borat-



No comments: