Thursday, March 5, 2009

Harvard grad uh ain't


A minor in psychology has taught me the 5 stages of grief and how they don't necessarily happen in the following order: denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. What they don't teach you is how to deal with it.

Before I start, I want to reaffirm that I'm not trivializing those who have grieved in their lives. I'm really not. But I do know that my biggest fault, the same one I work really hard to overcome every day, is my sense of longing for everything "lost."

Sometimes the loss of something you didn't even have to begin with hits you the hardest. Like a romantic pursuit. Or a prize. In my case, ____________.

I'll leave that up to you.

May I sigh? ... This isn't a complaint as I've really nothing to complain about. In fact, I have no right. And because words can't describe how thankful I am for the experiences that led me to this life, to these sheets I'm laying on and the breadth needed of a twenty-something, I shan't attempt to use them. What I can do is admit to missing those jogs along the Charles and lazy afternoons where nothing mattered.

As they say, "It's jolly good."


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's ok. we all miss BU

Trung said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trung said...

miss ya too...i miss our running into missing-finger, yogurt-loving, indian waiter -- with child. Yes that's right!