Sunday, September 16, 2007

Final tasting for Macarune


Finally, the fruits of my week-long (birthday included) labor is complete and here are pictures to prove it:


Menu


Macarune macaroons


Vanilla bean macaroons


Rose macaroons


Honey lavender macaroons


This time I used culinary lavender from France as opposed to the usual organic variety from the farmer's market. They're brighter in color and slightly milder in flavor. Not sure if I prefer 1 over the other,
but the ultra-violet color does make me smile



Matcha shortbread dipped in white chocolate
I was testing 2 different matcha shortbread recipes --
just 1 of many A/B splits in my life


Matcha shortbread dipped in white chocolate #2


Signature Macarune chocolate soufflé cupcakes
topped with Valrhona balls from LA (courtesy of Livie!)


...versus old-fashioned chocolate cupcakes


The spread


Leftovers


The weather was lovely, so hibiscus-infused iced lemon tea was served to those who stayed for a chat. And the bonus item ended up being cheddar crackers with caraway seeds and black pepper. Because most of the taste-testers came for a pick up as opposed to an all-out tea party, these savory bites were served during the bf's mini family BBQ at night. I think a break from the kitchen is pivotal at this point.

I had an interview with food writer Catherine Nash this morning, and it was great talking to someone who's so knowledgeable about the industry and not at all afraid to try new things. I mean not everyone's adventurous enough to pop a lavender macaroon in their mouth without thinking twice. "What?!! You're asking me to eat flower??!" Although I have to say I've been lucky to have such great and willing testers. In my rush to get out the door, I left my business cards and part of my brain at home. But all in all, it was a great experience and I can't wait to see the article. Will keep you all updated.

It was nice chatting with you Catherine! We'll meet again very soon, I'm sure.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Danielle! It was so nice to meet you. My boyfriend and I oohed and aahed over our cupcake the other night, and we adore the vanilla bean macaroon as well. I have saved on rose macaroon...for a very special occasion (like tonight!)

Danielle Bumblebee said...

i'm glad u enjoyed the treats! i can't wait to test new macaroon flavors.. the few i have in mind now are coconut and caramel fleur de sel..

btw, i'm working on finalizing the menu :) hope u can be patient with me.. cause believe it or not, i'm still at work! ugh..