Thursday, August 20, 2009

Beauty@Genesis sucks ass


Blogger was slow to load these few days and my anger has since simmered down to nothing. Well, almost. I have enough left in me to talk about one of the lousiest customer service experience I encountered on Wednesday. The situation was so comical, I feel impelled to share it with you.

Remember the Tiffany necklace the bf got me for our 5 year anniversary? Well, he got it from Raffles Arcade and received a free voucher for a 60-minute massage treatment at the (*barf) "Beauty"@Genesis spa. Considering how the purchase carried nothing less than a 4-figure price tag, the bf was quite pleased to include the voucher as part of the gift. In his sweet generous mind, a massage he didn't have to sweat over was kinda like a bonus for me.

Weeks later, I scheduled an appointment via phone and was assured that all I needed to bring was the voucher and receipt of the purchase. It was a usual Wednesday evening as I wrestled through the MRT crowds, making my way to the spa. Getting lost along the way, I called to ask where it was and was given the following directions "You get up the escalator and turn right all the way." After much difficulty turning "right all the way" (as I didn't know she meant multiple rights) a woman came to pick me up saying, "If you had followed by colleague's directions, you wouldn't have gotten lost." That's cool. I admit I could've tried harder.

When I arrived at the spa, about 5 women in white polo shirts greeted me at the door. Obviously, none of them had appointments to attend to. One of many key points. I handed over the receipt and coupon without being prompted, and sat down as I was told. Here comes the funny bit.

Just as I was following my masseuse into the room, a few voices exclaimed, "STOP! Maam stop!!! You CANNOT go in!"

Slightly alarmed by the sudden commotion, I went to the counter to ask why not, and here's how the conversation went:

W: Maam, I'm sorry you cannot go in because the receipt's not in your name.
M: Oh. My bf got me a present and was given this voucher, so here I am. Is there a problem?
W: The name on the receipt has to match the person who gets the massage.
M: I didn't know that. Let me see the voucher.

The voucher reads:

Exclusively for _______________
*Terms & Conditions
This treatment is exclusively for the person named above and is not transferable and not exchangeable for cash or kind.

M: It says here, "...the person named above. "Would it make a difference if my name were written on here (under Exclusively for_______________)?
W: No maam. You have to be the person who purchased the item.
M: But that's not what it says here. It says "exclusively for the person named above," and my name should've been written on here.
W: I'm sorry.
M: When my bf was at Tiffany's, they didn't tell him about this *assuming (right as I was, they didn't!)
W: I'm sure they would've liked to offer you a massage, but they're not the ones giving the massage. We are. They're just issuing the voucher. We can't let you in because your name is not on the receipt.
M: Neither of us knew he had to be the one getting the massage. He doesn't even like massages *pleadingly
W: It has to be him.
M: So if I were Chris Lau, you'd let me in? *jokingly
W: *Nervous laughter. Your bf can come for the massage. Not you.
M: So I guess I should've bought the gift myself * half jokingly
W: That was very nice of your bf but there's nothing we can do *slightly snide?
M: Can you make an exception? I wouldn't have come if I had known, and it was a bit of a commute to get here.
W: I'm sorry. We can't.
M: This seems unreasonably rigid. I wish it made was clearer on the voucher. Voucher aside, if someone had asked me on the phone when I was making the appointment, I wouldn't have come all the way. Whatever. You can be sure I won't come to this establishment again *angrily
W: Ok *nonchalant

Defeated, and not wanting to be massaged by people who refused to provide the service, I just picked up my things and left. I had wasted unnecessary time and was eager to get away. Though not before calling the bf to complain about the idiocy of the situation.

What do you mean "there's nothing we can do"??! It's a 60 min massage, not a BMW. Dude! You can do it! Even I can do it. There are 5 of you here. Just sitting around too! If it's SO important that my name be on the receipt, why wasn't I informed earlier? Say, how about when I called to make the appointment??! Worse, read this maam: the voucher wasn't clear!

Had they just gone ahead with the massage, I might've considered signing up for a package of some sort. Isn't that what giveaways are for? For potential customers to experience your service before taking the leap and becoming lower hanging fruits? Everything I experienced at Beauty@Genesis (including the name *snicker) is totally against customer service 101! Aaaaaaargh!

While I've always liked Raffles Hotel for it's impeccable service and one-of-a-kind colonial style, I can't imagine how it could allow places like Beauty@Genesis to be part of its organization. Perhaps it's just another space for rent. But their attitude and inability to be flexible just EASILY lost them a potential customer. And if I can help it, they'll lose a lot more. For once I wish I had a broader audience on this blog. Grrr...

Do not go to this lame place. Ever.

5 comments:

Sue said...

That sounds like bad customer service to me. Why bother when its not worth it? I would try some place else

abe said...

how irritating of them! i feel u girl

Cassie K said...

I guess you should go back and let Tiffany know. I believe they value you as a customer while these polo shirts women just don't!!

Danielle Bumblebee said...

i know right? they definitely made a silly decision, turning a prospective customer away. i may have been less peeved if it wasn't inconvenient for me to get there but that didn't even matter to them

>:[

shuquannnnn said...

ah. rigidity kills. stupid douchebags. and they say asia provides the best services.