Thursday, May 3, 2007

Holy macaron!

I googled that term, and someone’s already using it. Dammit. Oh well. I really have to be more original with my titles. Three guesses on what I made...


Tangy lemon macarons


When I was living in London, these miniature French delights were our staple dessert (next to the not-so-mini Krispy Kremes). Now that there’s no Pierre Hermé in sight, I have no choice but to make my own macarons. Admittedly, the first time I made these (last December) they turned out mutilated and rubbery. Still tasty. But certainly not pretty. That, ladies and gentlemen, was the end product of impatience and overmixing. This time I made sure to read and reread the recipe from Bouchon by Thomas Keller. Sift and resift the almonds. Measure and (re)measured all the ingredients. And the outcome? Close to perfection by my standards.




No comments: